Monday, June 17, 2013

Collage Letter DIY Project

Last weekend I attended a friend's baby shower. One of the party planners had a fun Pinterest-inspired idea: each guest got the guest of honor an alphabet letter to hang on the nursery wall! Since my prego friend loves typography, this was a great idea!

Here's the "B" that I made.

My finished "B"

The Project

What You'll Need:
  • Several copies of a printed-out letter the size & font you want it to be.
  • A piece of foam board 3x the size of your letter.
  • A kids' storybook, or whatever else you want to collage with. (Get it at Goodwill if you feel bad about cutting up a book.)


My "B" printout

My book of choice, since my friend loves frogs
STEP 1:
Tape your letters onto your foam board piece.


STEP 2:
Cut out your letters with an exacto knife and stack them and stick them together.

STEP 3:
Start cutting out interesting pages from your book.


STEP 4:
Start arranging your pieces on your letter.



STEP 5:
Stick down your stuff. If you're a modpodge expert, go ahead and do that. I'm not, so I didn't.


STEP 6:
Cut another letter out to cover the bits on the back and glue it on.


And you're done!

I put thumbtacks in the back so I could tie string on it to hang the letter.

This is what I called my "B."


My letter with some of the others in the collection at the shower.


It was such a fun project, and so fun to see it with the other letters—what a great collection! So many beautiful & creative letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment