Thursday, November 13, 2014

Easy Barley Soup


I invented a recipe today. We are always looking for affordable meal options, and barley is almost as cheap as it gets (this whole pot of soup was less than $3 to make)! We don't get fancy barley, just the simple kind, where you buy a bag of dry barley like you'd buy a bag of dried beans.


I got the inspiration for this recipe from the back of the Hurst's barley bag. I made quite a few modifications, though, so I think I can call it my own. It turned out so much better than I'd expected it would!



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. barley
  • 7 c. water
  • 1-1/2 c. diced ham
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 rib celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1, 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 beef and 2 chicken bullion cubes
  • basil to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine ingredients in a large pot.
  2. Boil gently for about 2 hours, checking and stirring occasionally. Add water during cooking to reach desired consistency, if needed.
  3. Remove bay leaf and serve. Makes about 4 bowl servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment